Perhaps I should clarify my concerns about the South Ave redevelopment
project. I must admit that I was unaware of the complete time line. But that
raises a further question; who requested and why did the council approve the
need for redevelopment of the “East South Ave area”? Was this from Economic Development? No one should question the need for the north
side of South Ave. to be redeveloped? But why not include t he whole area to
Leland Ave instead of stopping short of some drive ins?
What is the rational for the selection of the area on the
north side?
Also, how realistic are the 11 possible uses for the redeveloped
area?
Why would a Child Care Center help revitalize Plainfield
when the Hope facility is in the proximal vicinity? Why another bank that required
street parking or a parking lot? Why another gas station with one at each end
of the impact block? Why more small apartments when there are already unfinished
projects in the city? Check all 11
suggestions and judge how many are realistic. The direct train to NYC is at best a decade
away; will the land lie fallow until there may be need for residencies?
The argument that
this is a “non-condemnation “project is not valid since what will result is a
variation of the old block busting. If one owner wishes to sell a property it
may isolate the neighbor who will face a devastated area.
I have no objections to proposed redevelopment
projects that are realistic in scope and area. If Plainfield would look to an
area that needs redevelopment, why not our outdate“downtown”? Westfield successfully reinvented itself by becoming an open mall with high class food centers. Plainfield once the Queen City has no stores or restaurants (except the three on East South Ave.) that would bring in people.
I know this is rambling, but why can’t I get honest answers
to questions?
No comments:
Post a Comment