Friday, September 11, 2015
COUNCIL'S TUESDAY NIGHT #3
Yesterday the only bright spots during a day of much needed rain was the late late delayed Met’s game and victory at Atlanta; Go Mets. Also Vice-President Biden's appearance on the Colbert's TV show.
Once again I have tried to see a recording of a recent Council meeting on the city’s TV channel. Once again what I found was an older meeting, perhaps August. The listing for today at 7pm is CITYCOUNCILMTGAUGUST112015.
There were several items that I wanted to review prior to further commenting. The first one was Smiley’s statement that the RFP for the outsourcing of the Planning Division would be in the Wednesday paper. I did not see it in the Ledger nor yesterday. I have not had time to scan the Legal notices this am but Bernice has posted that it is in today’s Courier.
Just like in some of the unsupported claims the Administration seems to be winging it. What is the true motive?
I also need to review the meeting because I hope that I am wrong but somewhere in one of her spiels I thought that I heard Gloria say that she was playing the “race card”. I am not sure if it was in comments on Tolliver’s justification speech, or about “paid sick leave”, or perhaps on the earlier discussion about outsourcing the Planning Division. But there was also a “win, win” remark as if the only way anything was going to be approved by this Council was for it to get something.
Regarding Tolliver’s explanation that she was reacting “in self-defense out of fear for her life”. I was further back in the room waiting for the mob to thin out when the turmoil occurred. The only person I could notice was Tolliver screaming and struggling like a dervish while several people were trying to restrain her. I could not notice who was near her or who the subject of her rage was.
I agree with Public Safety Director that the City Hall Library is not the proper venue for a Council meeting especially one that could be contentious. I had commented when the Special meeting was schedule that I thought that the Library was too small to hold the number of people who would attend; and it was; with many standing including in the foyer outside the room’s doors.
The only explanation I could give was that Administration in anticipation of the ultimate results, felt that there would not be a quorum.
Please note that Monday night’s business Council Meeting is on the second evening of one of the most sacred Jewish holydays. Since the Jewish population in Plainfield is now infinitesimal, there is no reason to give the few that remain any consideration about their civic rights. For the benefit of those who are unaware Rosh Hashanah the Jewish New Years is a today event; however although the Orthodox and Conservative adherents celebrate both, most Reform Jews only observe the first day as a religious one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Olddoc, you heard right, Taylor did say she was ‘playing the race’ card.
ReplyDeleteRB
What's with the delay on getting the new meetings televised? There are also a lot of outdated announcements on the loop. Maybe that department needs to be outsourced.
ReplyDelete