Wednesday, May 27, 2015

PRIMARY TIME




I could not comment on the Council’s Budget hearing meeting of Tuesday night since I was not there; however after I read all of Bernice’s (Plaintalker II) reports I will be able to offer my commentary

The primary election date (June 2) is rapidly approaching and I expect the phone calls will soon be interrupting my meals. This would be a year in which there would be little interest due to the fact that there are no national post up for grab. Locally in Plainfield however there are several important races in the Democrat primary.

While it is true that Green and James Kennedy (who is he) have no opposition in the primary; November may be a different ballgame with a strong Republican slate which may be able to end Green’s tenure in the Assembly. At that time voters are not limited to a party.

There are races in the 2nd as well as the 1st/4th at large seats. In these wards there is an opposition slate supporting Mayor Mapp against Greens handpicked Candidates.

This is the year that the Plainfield Democrat City Committee is elected for a 2 year term. The Green line (A) has its list as well as the what was once known as the New Plainfield Democrats but on my ballot this Mapp supporting slate is listed ‘Union County Progressive Democrat Organization (Column C).

Interesting the election for the members of "City Democrat Party Committee" which was so stated  in previous years is now listed on the Ballot as for the “County Committee”.

While it is true that members of the local “City Democrat Party Committee” are also members of the County Committee it is my impression that in the past the election has been for the local committee.

If I am right could this represent an attempt for by the local Chairman to dissolve that committee and by only having the County Committee not risk being defeated locally?

There is also a separate opposition slate, Elizabeth supported?, for the 3 Freeholders posts up for election this year.

2 comments:

  1. Doc, members of the City Democratic Committee are also members of the County Democratic Committee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dottie. I believe that is what I wrote in paragraph 7 of my blog. I may have not been clear, but in the past the election was to the City Democratic Committee and as members of that committee they automatically became member s of the County Committee. Their prime responsibility and action is to the city and the party's actions related to Plainfield. That should not be done by a "County Committee: whose total membership could outvote anything related to Plainfield..

      Delete