Today is the 70th anniversary of the surrender that ended the war in Europe. My Regiment (194 Glider Infantry) had closed the Eastern end of the Ruhr pocket when it linked with elements of the 1st Army coming north. Subsequently we were moved to the Rhine cities including Essen to serve as temporary occupation forces. My Battalion was in Duisburg.
As anticipate I have receive a number of comments on my blogs about the composition of the CBAC and earlier on the appointment to PMUA. Also as expected most have been protest comments accusing me of being biased.
Too many have accused me of only being anti-Green; but I believe that in the past two years I have also been critical of the Mapp administration, to a point where I received a personal objection to my statement that he has lost "credibility".
I supported Mapp for Mayor since I had a firm conviction that he would create a fiscally responsible administration instead of Robinsons-Briggs' disregard for basic monetary practices. I have also been critical of the McWilliams era and among other things the costly North Ave, sewer fiasco; The botched South Ave re pavement; Woodland Ave which has deteriorated now to a point that it now is one of the worst streets in the city. This does not included that the contract failed to provide for the required Randolph Road changes. I could go on but be sure I will be critical of any government's malpractices.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It is a rare politician indeed who can garner enough supporters to be elected and then please all of them all of the time. On the whole, the current mayor is doing a very good job moving the city forward. Missteps yes, but progress nonetheless. You point out both successes and missteps; that's what makes you a keen observer.
ReplyDeleteThe only people who like a knee jerk supporter are knee jerk party hacks..I've too have openly critiqued Mayor Mapp while being happy I voted for him versus Sharon.. my major disappointment is seeing none of the fiscal misdeeds leading to anyone's arrests... and def not referring to the former Mayor alone...
ReplyDeleteI know Rob. I would be a happy person to see Sharon and Jerry walking the perp walk. It would indeed be a great day in Oz.
ReplyDeleteHi Old Doc, after reading your intro about a balance issue and a fall, and my introduction to a ninth decade which has come in like a lion, it seems that getting old isn't for sissies. Best to you, let's hang in. Angelo
ReplyDelete