Tuesday, May 19, 2015
IT STILL IS OZ
According to the May 17 Plaintalker II blog there was a legal notice published in the Courier, which I no longer, to the effect that the Council is seeking “AN INDEPENDENT COUNSEL TO CONDUCT AN INITIAL INQUIRY ON BEHALF OF THE CITY COUNCIL RELATED TO THE NORTH AVENUE EMERGENCY DEMOLITION PROJECT”.
Too much has already been written about that fiasco, and a legitimate inquiry into the circumstances that led to the contracting the Yates Real Estate Inc. to do the demolishing is a “must do”. If there was as appears likely something irregular in the process the public needs to know and proper action taken
However this is turning into an obvious attempt by a faction of the Council with ties to the City Party to turn it into a political witch hunt to discredit the Mapp administration. This is from a group whose previous membership blocked attempts to investigate financial irregularities in Recreation, and disregarded weird financial transactions by the Robinson-Briggs administration. Also since this is a focused probe there will be no investigation why the problem had existed from 2010.
Since Bill Reid is no longer a Council member I am sure that there will be no objections to the money spent this time. I wonder how many responses will be received besides one from Weber Dowd Law, LLC the firm supposedly chosen when the original resolution was adopted.
I am sure that this year’s CBAC will recommend that funds for this project should be included in the Council’s amended budget.
In my recent fee time I have been reading reports of the “Budget Hearings, the latest one being the Public Works hearing. Emphasis was upon local streets, their condition and repairing. Little mention was made of the 2006 long term plan that lasted in place to 2007 at best.
Little mention has been made that a certain Engineering firm was given contracts over and beyond its contract to supply the City with an in-house engineer to do planning and supervision of the works. Little mentioned made that years ago the City purchased equipment to resurface sections with pothole deterioration.
For several years there were resolution passed authorizing the seeking of grant funding for repaving East Second Street and West Second Street from Terrill Rd to Plainfield Ave. I have no recollection if any Grants were sought or if granted what happened to the dollars but that street is still a mess.
It was not until the last portion of the previous administration that there was a Director of Public Works who started a plant to repair bad stretches of main thoroughfares, as well as secondary roads. The stretch of Leland Ave from the city line (the brook) to Front Street which for years looked like a refugee from the Iraq war was finally fixed, a yet I understand that a Councilor considered that of less importance than some side streets.
However there is one street, Watchung Ave from Woodland to Leland that should merit belated possible legal action. Within 2 weeks of its resurfacing there were at least a half dozen openings by the water company in the section that to this day have not been closed according to City Ordinance. Moreover there are numerous lengthwise surface cracks in that section which would suggest that either the surfacing material was not up to specification or that the base for the pavement was not properly constructed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Doc this is not political this is the council member's doing what they were elected to do and that's protect the taxpayers of this great city of Plainfield.
ReplyDeleteI am really disappointed that when this administration make mistakes and they have made some huge always some people say it's political.
This administration have many many mistakes and listen to the budget deliberation there is just more to come and it is so disappointing.
Council member's do your job. If some residents believe it is political, there are many more especially on Steele Avenue that don't.
Again you were Voted in to protect the residents of the City of Plainfield.
I never supported or stood for the wrong doings that the Robison 'Briggs administration did and I will not stand for Mayor Mapp administration to use taxpayers dollars incorrectly.
Renee
WHAT'S POLTICAL IS MAYOR MAPP'S TOWN HALL MEETING. THIS IS A POLITICAL STUNT
ReplyDeleteI know. If Sharon didn't do it, then it has to be a political stunt. Get real! Go to the meeting if it upsets you so much. I'm sure you went to Sharon's give away sessions that cost the taxpayers a tidy sum. Oh, eat before you go, supper is not included.
DeleteThanks for your blog, Doc. If we could remove Jerry's kids and politics from this then we could get the truth about Sharon's time in office and the current situation. Jerry wouldn't allow this, since he has done nothing for Plainfield that he can run on, so he attacks and pays his dogs to do his dirty work. I hope people will notice and vote in the Primary. I won't hold my breath on that though.
ReplyDeleteBob, not Rob. Whoever he is.
Doc you probably will not print my comment but I will comment anyway.
ReplyDeleteTo start this administration have failed the residents of Plainfield.
1) take a look at the fire department.
2) take a look at all the new hires in the city of plainfield that have caused our taxes to rise
3) take a look at recreation
4) take a look at the demolishing. that some wish will just go away so landmark development can get that property along with the laundry list of properties he have now and have not completed should I say 11 to date.
5) take a look at the hiring of someone who stole from the taxpayers while employed as the head of another agency.
6) ask the employees who works for the city if you don't do as your told you will be harassed.
should I say more because I could.
I DID PRINT IT, as I always do. I will accept your unsupported charges some which reflect Jerry's flyers since I assume that you are an employee of the City perhaps as a result of having been a loyal Democrat. if I am wrong you can email a comment with your Id which I will not print but keep confidential.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteSubject accept as valid.
DeleteAnon 2:28 pm, your comment re "Bob" is too personal and vindictive to be posted. If you had signed it I might have accepted it.
ReplyDeleteDoc.. it's only wrong in the election cycle.. other times it's all about who gets the bigger slice of that SWEET DEMOCRATIC PARTY PIE !! "
ReplyDeleteGIMME SOME MORE FOR MY PENSION and WALLET !! Them taxpayers are a bunch of voting fools !"