Without planning and starting some action Plainfield will be doomed to be like cities of antiquity to disappear as a significant habitat for a vital vigorous population. Its process of deterioration which started 40+ years ago has taken the attributes of an avalanche. The closing of the hospital may have been the final step of abandonment of a future for the city. Talk will not alter the inevitable.
But if a dedicated core of thoughtful citizens as a unit plan and implement step by step a program to make the city attractive to a new permanent population, like the phoenix a new demi-metropolis will rise from the rubble.
A few areas that must be focused upon include basic issues of quality of life;
- 24/7 safety of life and property
- An attractive commercial center and local "store cells".
- Superficial beauty manifested by well kept streets and properties'
- A rapidly available heath care structure including short and long care facilities
- An education system dedicated to the student and focusing on all life preparation models.
- you add to the list
There is not one of us that has all the answers to even one of the problems. There are some that could initiate a trend of thought that would lead to an end point that might be doable. Yet even if we started by ridding ourselves of all our preconceived ideas and would be willing to listen an d perhaps accept other's thoughts we get nowhere unless we start with a central organizational committee that will refrain from trying to impose its individuals ideas on the working groups.
I for one with the exception of "health care" would not be comfortable working in any of the disciplines identified, yet like many, I have tangible thoughts which I hope would be considered.On the other hand I have definitive ideas about the issue of Health Care and the population. Some of my "solutions" will be impacted in ways that have yet to be determined by "Obama care".
Nat, you are wrong if you simple believe that as you wrote " "Here's the problem indigent care- ".. The problem is much more complex/ It is not simply a question of whether it is every one's right to have health care, or just a citizen's right but what is societies responsibilities to humanity. This should be (and will be this old philosopher's) grist for a blog.
Right now it is the question of who will initiate such a program. Should it be the Mayor or the Council. Both have the authority. Or should it be a spontaneous congregation of dedicated individuals or even sponsored by religious leaders. I would prefer that the process have official blessings without being contaminated by personal politics.
Did you mean ‘The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
ReplyDeleteShall lure it back to cancel half a Line, Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it’?
Seems to me you are trying to clean some major stables.
Of course I know it is a complex problem. But if you want to solve a problem you have to clearly define the problem, to go forward. I am prepared to and can do that. What I’m waiting to hear is how other people will solve the problem. So far all I’ve heard is empty phrases: ‘Viable Option, our fair share, etc. Or attacks of’ fiscal irresponsibility’ when a person says medical services should be free -in a perfect world it would be. So far, I‘ve only heard pie in the sky options with no detailed hard nose cost benefit analysis.
Philosophically, where to start? That’s easy. Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Atheistic Communism and even that Zion of Capitalism, Adam Smith, admonish us that it is our responsibility to take care sick and the poor. Anyone disagree?
Therefore we must serve anyone who shows up at the door. How to do it effectively and how much will it cost become the next issues. Any ideas?
Nat, point(s) well taken. Yes the fickle finger moves on. Indigent care is only one facet of the problem.Unfortunately, for the third time in a half century the Health Care playing field has been changed, and I believe I posted some blogs in 09, perhaps 08 as well as occasionally in the past year and half relating to the problems.
ReplyDeleteYou are right, there are too many stables to clean, and local, state, and federal politicians are incompetent to do so. It will take our own peoples "revolution" which will have to start from "leadership" not the masses.
There has never been anything effective instigated by leadership. It is always the masses that rise to the occassion; i.e. the ending of the holocaust, slavery, civil rights moments, EGYPT. Need I say more.
ReplyDeleteWrong again Nat. Leadership arises spontaneously from the masses. It is not an elite class but those that seem to have a sense of direction and imposes it on others. The danger is when that leadership becomes so self centered that it results in at best dictatorship or at worse vendettas against those than find fault with it.
ReplyDeleteTAP, you know the ground rules.
ReplyDeleteSorry Nat, I thought that 10:07's comment was yours. My reply otherwise stands.
ReplyDeleteThe Holocaust was not ended by the masses in fact in the Germanic sphere they were active participants
It was the military defeat of the Nazis that stopped all that genocide.
Some of our stable stink to high heaven, starting with the mayor's office. Maybe if the citizens of this city start cleaning out some of the refuse that is soiling our lives, other areas will not seem so bad or will stink less.
ReplyDeleteOld Doc, I concur with your view of leadership and believe that people can and will rise to the occasion. The Democracy movement in the Middle-East was precipitated by the act of one person setting themselves on fire in Tunisia. I thought I made that point in my last blog post about the 1940's movie, 'The Thief of Bagdad'.
ReplyDeleteThe part of the movie I was referring to was, to my mind, eerily prescient.
Sorry doc, but you know what I was trying to say . . . the same basic quality of life issues are addressed differently depending upon what side of town you are on!
ReplyDeleteOnce Plainfield was divided by nationality (Irish/Scotch in one end and the Italians on the other),not to mention the wealthy who only allowed the others into their neck of the woods to do manual labor and then leave!
Then we were divided by color, Black and White . . . the 60's and 70's ended that!
Now we appear divided between the educated and well off and the uneducated and poor, and the poor is divided between the Hispanic and non-Hispanic!
And I would be willing to bet that someone living in the Sleepy Hollow section gets very different treatment from those in power than someone living on Spooner or John St.
True American Patriot (by the why what does that mean: Jefferson or Hamilton, whose side are you on?):
ReplyDeleteHmmm, I live between Spooner and John on 7th St. I wonder what kind of treatment I should be getting? People get from their city what they demand. Politicians respond to voters. If want better, organize, get out and vote, elect people to to represent your interest but please don't whine. Don't tell me one ward gets better treatment than another. If you were to look at where the money comes from and where it is spent on a per-capita basis you might be surprised. Plainfield should be made a better city for everyone.
And, everyone needs to be taught how to fish.
Frederick Douglas and Metacom!
ReplyDeleteAmen on the fishing classes!
Give the man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat everyday!
Didn't you know Nat that the people receiving handouts always seem to resent the people giving the handouts!
And the only wine you will ever get from me is either a Cabernet Sauvignon or a Sauvignon Blanc unless I am in the kitchen making my signature Chicken Marsala!
I prepared that for a luncheon at Presbyterian Homes for Mayor McWilliams and his entourage when they got the lamp posts back, remember the ones stolen from in front of the Post Office . . . I recieved a standing ovation for that meal!
OK TAP & NAT. I have enjoyed it, time to move on. Philosophy may be the order of the day 3/30/11.
ReplyDeleteNancy P. deserves the credit for getting the lamp post back.
ReplyDeleteWhy doesnt TAP use his real name?
ReplyDeleteRandy . . .it is easier to gather intelligence within this city when travelling incognito! Many would be surprised to know that they are FB buddies with me! LMAO :)
ReplyDelete