Wednesday, March 2, 2011

FOR TODAY

There is nothing more frustrating than having to wait for a "service visit" which is open end as to time but supposedly specific for the day. One can usually count on the serviceman to arrive at 5:30 PM or 8AM but there always is  the chance. Thus one has to postpone needed errands as long as possible since the minute you turn the corner the awaited truck will stop in your driveway.

That does not explain no serious blog today but is a contributing factor. However  Like Tony Rucker and Bernice Spring nature subjects become a concern.

The Squirrel problem is a real one.It is not one however that made a major impact on my  flowers ,. since the Deer took care of all  my tulips and several other ornamental plants. The Squirrels have done me a favor. Every year I can look for Daffodils and crocuses blooming in weird areas such as  a stone gravel filled "swampy" part of the rear yard., or in the middle of my lawn or i the woods nearby.

There were years  of a constant battle with those critters on how to freed the birds and not the squirrels. Posts with large baffles were only a temporary solution, they would climb a tree and jump onto the feeder.

I did have a simple and cheap  answer by stringing a thin wire between two not too close trees and hanging the feeder high enough off the ground that they could not jump  up. The effectiveness of this arrangement laid in the 2 plastic liter soda bottles on each end  through which I had run the wire and a little duct tape to keep the bottles in place. \The bottles would spin freely as the animals tried to cross over and they would fall off only to try again. This worked well until our local herd of Deer decided that they liked bird seed.

Since  last weeks postings drew comments that were far above the usual blasting "Sharon", Bush, or Christie or Obama's Democrats emails we co0nstantly get, I am hoping as soon as I can finish the next serious opinionated post that it will have similar results. Almost made me feel that I was writing the New York Times.

1 comment: