Sunday, 7am: Thanks to Rashid Burney's blog posted late Saturday I learned that there will be a Special Meeting of the Council Monday July 13 to vote on an application to the Neighborhood Stabilization Program for $15,250,00.00 to provide funds for the stalled condo construction downtown.
Although the notice was dated July 10 (Friday) I had not seen it in either Friday or Saturday's paper and I have not yet received today's paper.
To call a special meeting the City Charter states "Special meetings upon at least 2 days public notice may be called by the mayor". The notice states that it was sent to the CN and Ledger and posted on the bulletin board in the City Hall & Clerk's office.
I am sure that was met by posting it sometime Friday in the clerk's office but I don't know how many citizens including Bernice would have gone there on Friday after the notice was posted (the time is not noted) or on Saturday or Sunday when the office is closed.
If 2 days are, as commonly understood, business days not calender days the legal requirement will not have been complied with.
Even if the meeting complies with the letter of the law it does not with the intent. The subject matter to provide funds for the Landmark projects, which I have expressed my negative opinion as not being beneficial to the city's recovery. I could go into a long discussion why I opposed it but will postpone it at this time.
Suffice to say, NSP2 states ""Not less than 25% of NSP2 funds must benefit households with incomes not more than 50% AMI". Just what Plainfield needs.
I hope there is a large turnout for the meeting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment