I hope most of you listened to President Obama's news conference Wednesday night. I should be able to make some comments later today -- Thursday.
The hot subject for Plainfield's bloggers this week has been the proposed tax abatement for the condos in the Monarch project. Everyone has written at least one post on the subject. The number of comments received, especially by Plainfield Today and Plainfield Plaintalker should indicate to both Administration and the members of the Council of public sentiment.
We voters would certainly appreciate those elected officials who have a blog with access from CLIPS to give some indication of their opinion regarding offering a tax abatement to new unsold residential construction.
Additionally, the recently proposed granting of a replacement Pilot Program for the Cedar Brook, Senior Citizens Apartment to the prospective new owners seems to me to be inappropriate and another affront to the taxpayers of the city.
The principle is to say the same. There is no reason for taxpayers to subsidize someone else's for-profit investment. It makes no difference if it is residential or commercial construction or stocks and bonds. All have a risk which is inherent in any investment. No one has offered to have the public mitigate the losses suffered by General Motors or Citi Group stockholders some which could be their retirement savings. There is no difference.
(for the record I never owned any GM stock and had no Citi Group stock when it went into free fall.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hello Dr.
ReplyDeleteI did listen to President Obama and hate to say that while there was some light to the issue I felt I didn't learn much more about it. I was glad I recognized some of the plans he talked about thanks to you! But I am afraid that the health issue is far bigger that what many of us have realized, there is real need for reform, but the rush of it all seems to be awakening resistance from, literally, the left and right.
I can't wait to read your opinion of it!
Maria Pellum
As long as we're on the subject of PILOTs, has the Park/Madison county office building ever started submitting their agreed to payments, or has the CO never been issued?
ReplyDelete9:33 AM; Two great questions. I do not know the answer to either and I suppose I could look it upat city hall if I had the free time. Perhaps our investigative reporter or the agitator can find out for us.
ReplyDelete