Saturday, May 31, 2008

NOSTALGIA

I am sure that there are still many Plainfielders who remember the building that stood on the northern corner of East 4th St. and Watchung Ave.? Today most of that site is occupied by the Police Station/City Court.

The “Academy’s large structure last day’s were as a Roller Rink. That was at the end of the heyday of roller-skating. It also was the site of professional and AAU boxing. Several area Golden Glovers saw action in that ring.

In the 50s, after the Plainfield Lions Club’s paper drives were no longer worthwhile money raisers, for several years the club sponsored an amateur boxing card. All the money raised went for three projects; Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and the Blind. They were initially well attended but the event was dropped due to the rise in criticism of the sport.

Since I had to volunteer to be the ringside physician, I was happy that there were never any serious incidents and I would no longer have to sweat out that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment