When I was
growing up one of my sandlot football friends/opponents was Harrison (Pete) Williams,
the son of a Republican who was president of a burial vault company.
After an
abortive attempt to practice law in New Hampshire where outsiders were shunned
he returned to Practice in Plainfield and as a Democrat in this solid GOP land
he was elected to Congress and several years later to the Senate where he was instrumental in
passage of such landmark laws as the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, which protects
worker pensions, and the 1969
Coal Mine Safety and Health Act.
“Once known as ''senator for life,'' and the only New Jersey
Democrat to be elected to four Senate terms, Senator Williams was convicted on
May 1, 1981, on nine counts of bribery and conspiracy for promising to use his
office to further a business venture in which he had a hidden interest. He was
fined $50,000 and sentenced to three years in prison, which he served at a
minimum-security federal prison in Allenwood, Pa.” (NYTimes).
He was the first Senator in 80 years to be sentenced to jail. It could have happened again but for a hung jury.
He was the first Senator in 80 years to be sentenced to jail. It could have happened again but for a hung jury.
On
March 11, 1982, he resigned in the face of overwhelming indications that more
than two-thirds of the Senate, where he had served for 23 years, were about to
expel him.
I mention this because it is 36
hours before the country sets its course for the next 2 years.
For myself the issue is
not “Blue or Red”. But one of ethical moralities. Accepting the fact that it is
a rarity to find a Politician whose ethics are beyond questioning; the choice is too
often between bad and “bader”.
This year we have been
bombarded with the most negative TV ads in my recollection. Both the Senate race candidates have been to
say the least, liberal with the truth. In their case
I feel that history of ethical
transgressions and/or belief in campaign promises tip the scale.
The other problem we have in New Jersey is the entrenched
political machines who excel in joint cross locality jobs as well as patronage
and nepotism.
These are strangleholds
that it will take the participation of all voters especially the large unaffiliated
group at the polls to loosen.
I have cast my ballot and do not expect all to be for the winner,
but Anon I feel that I have acted in the best interests of a Democracy.
Please all of you exercise your privilege as a citizen and VOTE even if it is for the one I consider to be wrong.
Sorry about the change in font size; although I tried many times to correct it always reverted to a small print.
Sorry about the change in font size; although I tried many times to correct it always reverted to a small print.

No comments:
Post a Comment