Wednesday, August 16, 2017

MOST TROUBLING



I had posted Tuesday a short explanation why I had not attended the Council meeting writing in part “Still have not recovered from 4 days of visits plus the emotional stress of Charlottesville. I intend to comment on that in the next few days”

One anonymous comment I received “Were you in emotional distress when 11 police officers were shot, 5 of whom died, at a Dallas BLM protest? Asking for a friend” His comment referring to a happening over a year ago when  a terrorist unfortunately African American took advantage of a peaceful protest against the shooting of two African-American men by police in Louisiana and Minnesota which had spurred protests and debate over police use of force across the country.

Comparing apples with oranges would be more relevant.

Let me first address the Friday night’s Torch March

UVA is a state school and it is bound by state and Federal laws on assembly. UVA President Sullivan wrote:
“The University of Virginia is a public institution and as such must abide by state and federal law regarding the general public’s right to access outdoor spaces. This includes open spaces such as Nameless Field and our historic Lawn, where torch-wielding protestors gathered and marched to invoke fear and intimidation….
The University does not require permits to reserve public spaces. Existing University policy speaks only to the ability to access University-owned facilities such as academic buildings and athletic venues…
Law enforcement became aware late Friday afternoon from social media posts that there was a possibility of protestors gathering at the Rotunda later that evening. University Police immediately reached out to our partners in state and local law enforcement to determine if there were additional details.
Unfortunately, there were contradictory and misleading details about events, locations, routes and timing. University Police reached out to the alt-right organization and learned early Friday evening that members would be gathering at Nameless Field to march along University Avenue toward the north side plaza of the Rotunda for a short assembly and then disband and depart.
With this information, University Police conveyed the organizer’s plans to its law enforcement partners and immediately began to stage officers around the area in preparation for the ad hoc march.
The alt-right protestors did not do what they had said they were planning to do. They did not follow the route they had indicated — along University Avenue to gather on the large open space on the north side plaza of the Rotunda — and instead traveled down McCormick Road and onto the Lawn.
The torch-bearing protestors ultimately encountered the smaller group of counter-protestors with physical violence ensuing. Within minutes, University Police declared the gathering an “unlawful assembly” and ordered the crowd to disperse."

It should be obvious that the intent of Friday night’s torch march was intimidation and was reminiscent of the Nazi’s hate rallies including Kristallnacht. That was the intent from the onset.

That alone should be enough to upset anyone who believes in our Constitution and our Civil Liberties. 

Anonymous’ comment was not worth posting; however because it was sent by an obviously bigot AH who claims he has a friend neither one having the guts to identify themselves to a 97+ year old man who had served in combat during WWII as a medical officer in a glider infantry battalion with a wife and two children here in Plainfield; I felt that it reflects the same attitude of the KKK etc. marchers in Charlottesville.

By the way someplace along the line I became the recipient of a Purple Heart. I do wonder what that person has done for this country.

I shall later tonight or tomorrow post about the Saturday melee and Trump’s response. Also I have thoughts about the protest an actions over Confederate statues  a place names which might be controversial but I will offer for constructive comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment