Thursday, December 22, 2011

THE WBLS REPORT

My first indication that something important had occurred came this morning when I read the Courier’s headline: “Report: Plainfield mayor broke law”. The article continues with a summary of the Independent Investigators report of the WLBS financial actions.

The crux of the report, according to the paper, was that the Mayor’s actions involving the funding for the affair which included signing a check for $25,000.00 and moving funds from other line items to cover the check plus using funds from a check designated for the July 4th activities were all in violation of the State Statues.

Yet the Mayor claims the report “exonerates her”. By that I suppose she means that since there is no recommendation for filing criminal charges she did nothing that merit anything more than a suggested “reprimand.

I have not read the report but I am sure that it is limited to just the circumstances involved in the WLBS payment. No mention could be made if this constituted a felony (doubtful in this incident) or a misdemeanor, or just a improper action.

The Council will have to acknowledge receipt of this report at its Jan.3 meeting. What action it will take if any, will without doubt be decided by a 4:3 vote. Not answered is the question if there have been in this Mayor’s period in office other and more serious violations of the law related to financial actions.

Will the Council’s reaction to the report be satisfied with only a reprimand or will it demand an investigation in depth of the City’s finances by the state. What has been the result of years of not filling important fiscal administrative offices? This is the question that must be answered.

I like all of you will await matters as they develop.

3 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmmm....the Paper Tiger New Dem's wanting the state ( read, evil Republican Chris Christie ) coming in to slap the hand of one of their very own...Nope. Won't happen. Jerry will twitch the chain, remind them it's about getting Obama elected in 2012 and they'll fall in line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have spoken to City employees who know that this type of dirt has happened before and people have had to sign for things or be fired. They won't come forward because of this. This mayor only deserves our derision and the goons on the City Council who follow her blindly will deserve the same if they defend this skullduggery.

    Bob Bolmer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always thought that there was something not right about the mayor. Because of that, I have some sympathy for her.

    Her response to the WBLS findings, and her lack of understanding of what it means supports what I have always thought.

    Sad and scary.

    ReplyDelete