It was either bad luck or good planning, but I was unable to attend Sunday night's Town Meeting. In fact I was in no position to listen to it on the radio. I knew that 99.99% of the panelists would offer little of value, but I was and still am interested in what the Rev. Sharpton had to say. Perhaps there will be some publicity about if and when it will be on The Plainfield TV station. If advanced notice is given then I could tape it.
In the mean time I would welcome any comments about Rev. Sharpton's speech and would post them. Please since I may reject any that are in bad taste or inflammatory, try to be as factual and unbiased as possible in this biased atmosphere.
I have written in the past and will reiterate that we are not approaching the problem with a commitment to eradicate the cancer that causes the problem. Yes, we must use temporary measures as stop gap but the are not a solution. For the goal of a gang free, gun free, violence free town we must start ASAP on a long term program to provide alternatives to gang association.
There has to be several areas of focus; Recreation, Education, Employment, Family Commitment. Some of these are easier to initiate than others, but all will require a total community effort and resources.
I an others especially Alan Goldstein have pointed out the lack of after school and evening recreation activities. There are already facilities available in this city that are either lying dormant or under used. Money is of course a problem, but wouldn't $800K be better spent on this project than on cameras downtown. I use that as an example for the surveillance cameras are funded by Grant.
Would not a well thought out program have been an ideal project for stimulus money. A program of club social and athletic activities can use municipal owned fields and facilities as well as those belonging to the school system , the "Y"s, religious organizations without religious overtones, and existing youth clubs.
To make this work every one must be willing to cooperate. Turf protection will defeat any possibility. An Authority (I don't like that term) or Commission with authoritative powers free from political patronage must be set up without delay. The director must be someone who can work with everyone. The majority of human support has to be from volunteers, we can not afford paid personnel.
There was one recommendation that the Vision group made. That was the development of the Wood site into a recreational facility. It may be possible to find a developer that would be involved. Meanwhile, could the Tepper basement be utilized for some programs?
The initiating force must by charter come from the Mayor's office. The Council can use its inherent powers to formulate and stimulate such a program. There are enough individuals in positions that entitled them to be recognized as leaders who must be the movers to formulate this program.
Above all there must not be any ethnic, religious, social discrimination to make this work.
If any one has a better alternative please make it known. However one thing is certain; something attractive and time filling must be offered as an attraction away from gang membership.
I will in the near future post thoughts on Education, Employment, and Family Commitment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
First, all we need to do is look at how much Plainfield school system pays per child (considerably more than other districts that fare much better) to know that money is not the answer.
ReplyDeleteDave Wynn has been a constant obstacle in helping get children into after school sports programs. How much money does it cost to work out a solution for two teams to use the taxpayers field? NOTHING
We have a BOE who just cannot seem to be a strong body like the City Council and start changing the way the administration treats teachers and how teachers treat partent. How much does it cost to put our children first? NOTHING
We have neighbors in this city who are subject to unspeakable violence, and yet will not help police eradicate the issue because they would rather let hoodlums run their lives than themselves. How much does it cost to do the right thing to make your life better? NOTHING
Doc,
ReplyDeleteYour suggestion of a separate body to concentrate on the problem is an excellent one. However, as you state, it must be independent and free of political influence. This is regrettably very unlikely under the present administration. Mentor Jerry Green is likely to use it as a source of employment for more of his unqualified political cronies and will only aggravate the city's financial problems.
Jim
The problems that confront our community are very complex. The inefficient local government suffers from the stranglehold of Jerry Green and the school system has yet to recover from the aftereffects of Team Gallon. Of considerable importance was the noticeable absence of young people at the community meeting......I find it ironic to say the least. However, you have a good idea.........what next?
ReplyDelete