The intent for this blog was not to focus on any particular element of our society but to be as random and diversified as my interests indicated. I never considered focusing only on Plainfeld's malfortunes, however circumstances will always direct my scrutiny. Non-the-less I will continue to post items of human interest, non consequential knowledge, non biased humor and reflections on the past as often as I can.
Unfortunately, I start will two Plainfield Crime stories. After 28 years a Plainfield murder has been solved. We can not blame or congratulate Public Safety Director/Police Director Hellwig for the closure on this case. It was previous police leadership who had not pursed it relentlessly.
On the other hand continued gang activity makes our streets unsafe The Administration's mammy pammy combative programs will not be successful. It is this writer's humble opinion that we need a "police surge" as many as possible bodies (poor choice of words- "units?) on the street, not almost two million dollars in exotic gadgets for temporary solutions. The long term will take planning for alternative activities and I see only wool gathering in that direction.
I grant that the presence of gangs is not this Administration's fault; the previous Administration was recorded as saying that Plainfield had no gangs (problems). The locals and especially their leadership must be rounded up and detained for a sufficient period to defuse the situation. Although the present war seems to be between two hispanic gangs no other gang must be ignored. Above all the Courts must be cooperative.
Originally, before the cat, I was going to write a tirade on today's health care which is now dollar driven not compassion moderated. Since there were too many tangents it will have to wait until I can better organize my concerns.
Purely potpourric, I had my Clothes Dryer Serviced by a very friendly technician who somehow happened to mention that he was Iranian, but a Christian. He had been drafted into the army for his mandatory service and had almost completed it when he was arrested as a spy because he was not a Muslim. He served 3 years in prison before being released due to no evidence but remained under observation. After about six months he was requested to report to the police for a few questions. That resulted in another 3 months detention before being released. He manage to escape through Turkey and received political asylum here more than 11 years ago. He is now a citizen.
This should be a tale for those who decry about life in the United States or would support a religious theocracy as their government.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It keeps your mind focused on just what a great country this is, not perfect, but much better than the alternatives . . . by any stretch of the imagination!
ReplyDeletebigdog
You seem to be a man of integrity and character. I respect your opinion above most of the rest in this town. There are some good people though, trying to do right by their fellow man, and then there seems to be an elite few who are so mesmerized by their own accomplishments and intelligence it is downright scary!
ReplyDeleteMy grandfather once told me that, you do not go into medicine or politics unless you have the other guys well being as your ultimate goal! If all you want is money, you become an attorney! if you have no scruples , you will become quite wealthy. If you have a conscience, you will be comfortable financially, and you will also sleep at night! I feel as though I have a stake in this town as I have been here over 50 years, but my family goes back all the way to the 1860s.
10:44 PM Thank you for the compliment. I have no axe to grind except honesty and integrity from public officials. Unfortunately, your grandfather's opinion of medicine and politics must be completely revived today. All too often the dollars are more important than people.
ReplyDeleteMy great grand father settled in Plainfield about 1864.