The start of a glorious perfect weekend weather wise. Indeed I had no intention of blogging but then several unrelated matters b egan to bother me.
This is teh 5th aniversary og the Katrina disaster to New Orleans. It might have been less if there had not been an ineficient politically corrupt administration, compounded by years of neglect and poor evaluation of the flood defenses. Once disaster struck it was evident that there was serious faults in the emergency disaster response plans. There also seem to be no coordination with the state.
Why is this important? In the past two years there have been repeated citizen's request at Council meetings about Plainfield's disaster and emergency responce plans. Dashield always gave some generalized answer but never has the plan been published. There is legitimately serious doubts that there exists a plan taking into account the loss of the hospital. Are there triage locatiopns and staffing. what, were and how will evacuation be managed? What are the plans for protection of people and property? What is the emergency communication setup, and how often has it been tested for operation? Perhaps the Council (and Administration) will give us a detailed report this month or have it on the agenda for discussion.
The recent posting on Maria's blog of the emails relating to the shenanigans of the May 7th Special BOE meeting that resulted in an attendance of 1. raised questions about the BOE Legal Counsel. I remember reading that at one meeting I believe in June that Hunt, Hamlin, and Ridley had been replaced as Counsel by Pickett and Craig. Among other appointments the Hamlin firm was appointed as Compensation Counsels. I have searched published minutes and can find no mention of any changes in legal representation or details of the contract, IE: retainers and fees for service. Apparently this never was a subject for vote at the public meeting.
That has to be made public knowledge. As is any such actions have to be considered illegal. Once more I wonder if a Christie Administration review and oversight of the Plainfield BOE/PSS might be in the best interests of the community.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is what is so frustrating about you bloggers. Always looking to point something out as criminal or wrong or questioning someone ability when in fact it is a matter of YOU missing the mark. The Christie adminstration can't help when YOU don't READ... See June 22 minutes page 84 it's clear as day.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.plainfieldnjk12.org/Board_of_Education/Minutes/June%2022,%202010%20Business%20Meeting%20Minutes.pdf
2:31p, Thank you for pointing out the date and page. I assure you that I can read despite your belief. I can not explain how I missed that page as I scanned all the minutes thatw as recently posted.
ReplyDeleteThere still remains the problem, the terms of the contract; duration, retainer, hourly fee as well as case fees are not stated. Like any contract those items are essential and public not private.
I would appreciate it if you can locate the data.
Also I thought the CN report had mentioned other appointments.
Lol As it says contract TBD -to be determined/decided/discussed.
ReplyDeleteAnon, isn't that like signing a blank chec?.The Board agrees to employ someone and has no idea what they are paying. Do you think that is responsible business?
ReplyDeleteOr perhaps they are negotiating the best price for the district. Now there's a possibility. Let's remember what was put out for bid differs from the split of duties decided upon so it's reasonable that some price adjustments have to be made/clarified. You assume they don't know cost which is not necessary the case. Cost is different from contract; because there is no contract does not at all mean there is no known cost. Either would qualify for an OPRA so simply ask for it.
ReplyDeleteThat is the weirdest attempt at justification that I have ever read.On e doesn't hire by contract somebody to do a job and after-wards determine the payment.
ReplyDeleteOne does when one has to meet legal obligations that being representation for the board. Ya just gotta get all facts Doc. Weirder things exist. I'm not suspicious so its not too strange for me
ReplyDeleteInteresting back and forth Doc. FYI, I did ask at a BOE meeting for the existence of a law services contract and was told none existed yet. Then a friend of mine told me that at minimum there should be a "letter of intent" from at least one of the two law firms, and since I was waiting for August to be over so I could file for copies of paid bills for legal fees for at least the last three months, I am now planning to file for such a "letter of intent". Maybe by then the contracts for the two firms have been agreed upon by all parties.
ReplyDeleteAlso FYI: If you wanted to file and OPRA, it can be filed electronically, the answer should be delivered electronically as well. Requests can be made to:
Ms. C. Thomas, BA's Secretary at
cthomas@plainfield.k12.nj.us
You could cc: Gary Ottmann at:
gottmann@plainfield.k12.nj.us
Hope this helps. And as I said, interesting back and forth. Rather revealing. Thanks for sharing it.