The lack of any remarks about Tuesday night’s Council
meeting suggests that I missed almost nothing. I do agree with Dan that the County’s
proposal to move the Watchung Ave/East Front St. B us stop to the northeast corner is a long overdue positive
action. Why has no Council or Administration thought about this in the past?
I promised that I would tell you about the
saga that marked my month of November which was the result of me and my help being
physically inability to start the emergency gasoline generator. I was replacing
it with a gas generator that automatically kicks in.
On Nov 8th the electrician while working on the circuit
breaker box where the 220 incoming line is reduced to 110 volts for house usage
missed a jumper cable that was installed for the old generator with the result
that there was a 220 volt power surge. Among the damage was burning out the new
LED light fixture in the kitchen. The dish washer and washing machine became inoperable
as well as the bases for my wireless house phones including some of the house
phone lines.
The initial worry damage was the power board for my security
system which was not replaced until the 18th-10 days. Their initial
response was that a service man would be there 6 days later. A phone call and
letter to a CEO result in his coming the next day but they had to order the
part.
To add to my woes two days later (Saturday) the motor to my
furnace which had apparently been damaged by the surge burned out. Since it was
a weekend the Carrier warehouse was closed, and I had to use space heaters for
two days before it was replaced.
My furnace has a humidifier and when the current went out
the pump stopped working so there was water under the carpet in the entry way
which is adjacent to the furnace room (my house is on a slab). The carpet had
to be pulled up and the parquet reinstalled.
The delay in replacing the utilities was due to the
contractor’s insurance carrier had to check the damage.
Things seemed to be going fine; the water to the dishwasher
was shut off but the valve was old and did not close tight so on the 22nd
eve I noticed a flood from it to the Kitchen floor which necessitated shutting
off the house intake valve. Fortunately, 8 am Saturday a new lever valve was
installed.
Everything was up and running 100% by Monday the 26th
but it had been a stressful 2-1/2 weeks.
The fact that at the same time my printer seemed to have a
mind of its own and I had mouse problems was not conducive to posting a blog. Thank goodness its now December and the
holiday season as well as college basketball.
No comments:
Post a Comment