Sunday, July 13, 2014

MEETING AGENDA



Yes , that Ordinance submitted to the Council for its consideration last Monday  by HAP director Randall Wood to convey city owned property to a consortium consisting of HAP and its subsidiary  Community Development Corporation for the purposes  of building three residential units with a total of 86 apartments in conjunction with a third party is on the agenda.  

I hope common sense will prevail and it will be withdrawn for further consideration for reasons that due to space will not be reiterated at this time but that have been mentioned in previous blogs and in detail by others.**

If it is subjected to a first reading vote, I shall post my objections. It is interesting to note that the CDC is listed as the owner of property up for tax lien sale.

The four Ordinances for second reading have been reviewed in detail and should meet not objections.

There are ten resolutions authorizing street, property encroachments or use of public land. Eight are on the consent agenda; the two that are not include one for the annual Council supported “National Night Out”.

Because Council President Rivers questioned the NTEE status of the Latin American Coalition’s request for a waiver of the fee for its event it will require a separate vote. She requested written documentation although accepted without reservations the request from other organizations.

Incidentally, at a previous meeting Flor Gonzalez the President of the Latin American Coalition underwent what seemed to be an interrogation by Councilor Taylor. Gonzalez also in the past has seemed to be have been held in disfavor by the previous Mayor and also by the Party Chairman.

There is no mention of that request in the support material and also in the resolutions relating to other organizations that have made the same request. If such waiver is granted it should be part of the resolution. At the Agenda Fixing Session Councilor Taylor did want to know particulars of the fee amount and if it is for multiple days or daily.

There are 10 liquor licenses approval on the agenda plus two to be added. Several have special qualifications requiring on site uniformed security during designated hours and days.  Two have what must be typos since the hours required are from 10pm to 2pm. I am sure that should be 2am.

What is the closing time for the sale of liquor in the city?

An interesting Resolution is the one authorizing tax lien sales. Outstanding is one for 114-118 Watchung Ave owned by Garcia who owes the city $157,767.43 and PMUA 9,768.20 in taxes and/or fees.

Is this the same Garcia who holds several  3 day events during the year on downtown city property? 

** I have been emailed a copy of a letter from Randall Wood dated July 11 to the Council members stating that he had been advised to discuss at the July Agenda Session the proposed Ordinance which had been first introduced last November. It was not his intention or understanding that it would become an agenda item. He requests that it be withdrawn.

There is a serious question; why and by whom was it desired to be placed on the agenda? (8:25 am)                                                                                                                                                                                                                  













5 comments:

  1. Regarding Gloria Taylor's treatment of Flor, her comment that she could not understand Flor was a bit harsh, considering the equally heavy accent of Taylor's primary running mate. It does seem that sides are taken between Flor and Carmen, the latter being often included in RDO and SRB photo ops. Both women do good works for the Latino community but for some reason sides are drawn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In talking with Councilwoman Taylor it seems to me that she has a decided predjuiced against Latinos. I get the feeling that she thinks they are all day laborers and should speak perfect English. I agree with Bernice that her prejudices seem to be selective with people who have an accent. I have worked with Flor and her accent is pronounced, but she is understandable. I wonder if this is part of her loyalty to Jerry, since her loyalty to Plainfielders is currently in doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anti-Latino, anti-Caribbean, and anti-gay comments seem to be the stock-in-trade among some individuals, especially when they think they are not being overheard, or don't think that their consistently biased commentary is not being reported back to those who are the subject of such prejudice. I am infuriated by the divisiveness and nastiness of those I view as religious perpetrators. We are elected to represent everyone, and to uphold the constitution of our state and of the country. Homophobic and xenophobic commentary in the mouths of elected officials demonstrate bias that is unacceptable. Also, I do not remember the council denying a waiver of the permit fee to any non-profit organization--or demanding to see "proof" of its status in advance--many residents have commented to me about Councilor Taylor's badgering of Mrs. Gonzalez, and giving her the 3rd degree as to where her residence was--I have not ever seen Taylor question anyone else about their residence, or repeatedly interrupt them by saying "I can't understand you." Her conduct is reprehensible. There is more I can say but I will await the opportune time.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Councilwoman Taylor shows an obvious bias and she should be reprimanded for that. Unfortunately, we have to wait nearly three and a half years to remove her before she does more damage. I'm also not inclined to her addressing others as if they are stupid and she is the only person who can understand issues. Thanks Jerry.

      Delete
  4. After Flor Gonzalez provided "proof"--that her organization has had 501 (c) 3 status SINCE 1996, the council granted the waiver. No other 501 (c) 3 organization has had to go through the hoops that Flor has had to go through--Iris House, which also asked for a waiver, did not. Neither have other (c) 3 organizations. Flor mentioned her feeling of harassment when Gloria Taylor went to the residential address Flor had given back in May to see if she really lived there. Apparently, Taylor went there twice--her performance of guilelessness was not lost on those who are aware of her bias against Flor, as seen by her open hostility.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete