In my April 23rd blog RELIGION AND GOVERNMENTS I made a statement about the upcoming Democrat Primary Council election. I have also stated that I would not announce who I would vote for until a week before the election. Since I can not vote for the 3rd ward candidates I intend to give my preference at that time. Let it be known that I do respect both 3rd. Ward candidates and in different circumstances could (and have) vote for both.
The 'At Large" race is a different matter; since I believe in that earlier blog I did make a definitive statement which holds true.
If Rev. Brown was not a sitting Commissioner of PMUA, and if she were not the present Mayor's friend, and if she were not the Mayor's spiritual leader, and if she had some previous elected office experience, despite my statement regarding Minsters etc holding public office, I would give her some consideration. Under those circumstances such a candidate would have to prove to be a superior choice than her opponent. Unfortunately, noted above is true.
That does not mean that I am going to vote for Roni Taylor by default. On the contrary; I have voted for her in the past to be a BOE member and know that her performance on a progressive board was outstanding. That was during the era when the Superintendent of Schools was top notch. After Taylor left the BOE there the Superitendent's post has been a revolving chair often influenced perhaps by personalities conflicts.
Taylor has proven herself in elective office. On merit alone there can be no other choice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tracey Brown also sat on the BOE. She have a lot of experience with people all across the CITY. She is a fine Public Servant and she will be getting my VOTE.
ReplyDeleteDOC - if Tracey Brown had made herself available for crucial votes at PMUA, she might have been a viable candidate in my eyes. Anyone in a public office unfortunately must choose between serving the people or serving yourself (whatever that entails). Often that’s a tough choice to make.
ReplyDeleteAt first look Roni has a proven track record for serving the Plainfield Public, and again that’s a first look and I want to dig deeper. But what most concerns me with Rev. Brown is that on three occasions she was not available to make a HARD stand “for or against” what has happened over at PMUA. When asked at Council what that stand is, she was not willing to answer even when the opportunity presented itself. I often wonder when I pass her campaign signs if she will take a stand on larger issues concerning the fate of our city. That really bothers me.
My views on the Rev. Tracey Brown are well known. I agree with Doc that her absences from crucial votes at the PMUA and her unwavering and unsavory support for our joke of a mayor make it impossible for me to vote for her. It's already bad enough that we have three Sharon devotees on the Council and their obvious choice to support the mayor, often when the mayor was way out of line, will not allow me to vote for anyone supporting the worst mayor Plainfield has had in the 30+ years I've lived in the city.
ReplyDelete10:22 To identify yourself as "American Race" disturbs me as being suggestive of a racists. Your comments however do not have any such connotation and are succulent.The PMUA votes are a real problem even if at least one took place when she was "out of the country".She sat on a board that has not adhered to its fiduciary responsibility.
ReplyDelete10:22AM, One of the benefits of American citizenship is that we have a FREE choice in voting. I did not mention Rev. Brown's BOE membership perhaps because that was in what I feel are the BOE's dysfunctional years. I feel that all the other negatives outweigh other community service. Thank you for writing.
I don't know if any of you travel but Rev Brown was out of the country in TURKEY when the votes took place. I don't know if any of you get sick but Rev Brown was in the HOSPITAL having surgery when one of the VOTES took place. Give me a break
ReplyDeleteI’m sorry if identifying as “The American Race” is suggestive as racist. I have identified with that slogan (as I call it) since I am of Native Indian, European and African descent. Many years growing up here in Plainfield (PHS c/o ’78), often people would ask what I was (of what decent that is). I simply got tired of explaining and for 20 years I “bark” that I’m of “The American Race.” People often identified me with strong patronage (or that I’m annoyed by the question) . Please know that I am in DEEP belief that ALL who reside here (regardless of lineage and citizenship status), and love being part of this country is in my opinion “The American Race.” Hope this helps.
ReplyDelete11:39;Thank you for the info. Both are legit reasons for not being present. It is to bad that someone found the need to take those votes while she could not participate. I am sure Rev, Brown will state her position during this election campaign.
ReplyDeleteTo Anon 11:39 – I’m sorry but you’re not quit accurate. If you OPRA the minutes from the December 28th & January 10th meetings, it’s on the record that she was not available. As nice as Rev Brown is she was already back in her pulpit during this time and not in the hospital. Yes, she was in Turkey during the last meeting from what I understand, however in the eyes of the suffering homeowners with large PMUA bills it still doesn’t look good. What bothers me is that Councilwoman Rivers has called into Council meetings from wherever she was to fulfill her commitment, why couldn’t Rev Brown? Just a thought.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete2:12 You did not mean to start an erroneous rumor. I have removed your comment
ReplyDeleteThe American Race the truth is Rev Brown had surgery when the 1st VOTE took place. Again I say, she was out of the COUNTRY when the 2nd VOTE went down. Let's paint a trueful picture when we are painting it.
ReplyDeleteDoc what was the erroneous rumor that was getting started.
ReplyDeleteTracey Brown served on the BOE for a year and then quit. She serves on the PMUA and was absent for several votes when she could have called in. She also takes health benefits while the rest of us have to pay and she wants to furlough workers to pay for the million dollars to Watson and Ervin.
ReplyDelete3:34 Not important, the comment was a silly misunderstanding of an earlier blog but taken as written could become a rumor without any foundation.
ReplyDeleteReverend Brown has on two occasions that I have witnessed refused to answer what her position was on the million dollar award. This is not a quality we want in an elected official.
ReplyDeleteWhether Reverend Brown knew what was happening in her absence the infamous night the Commissioners voted 3 to 2 to approve the million dollars I don't know. What does appear to be clear is that Messrs. Dunn, Sanders and Toliver seized the moment to make the gift. It was entirely possible to defer the vote until she was available, rather than enabling Mr. Sanders, the alternate and close ally of Mr. Dunn, stand in her shoes.