Saturday, October 1, 2011

OCTOBER 1, 2O11

I have had the chance to review the agenda for Monday night’s Council Meeting. There are 12 Resolutions and 2 second readings of Ordinances on the docket. II shall not comment on any of the resolutions until I have had an opportunity to review the supporting documentation.

As usual in the agenda setting session the discussion items take up most of the meeting’s interest. One such will be for four proposed ordinances by the center for Civic Responsibility. Dan Damon in his Friday blog provided a link to these proposals which if adopted by the city would be a forward going step governmental process. I

Other discussion items are Housing Authority appointment and budget amendments. Also, under unfinished business is a notation about the Public HHearing on October 11 regarding the SIB budget. The WBLS investigation is mentioned however I would expect no report until after all the witnesses have been heard in closed session. Also if the Council has reached any agreement or whether to proceed further.

There are also listed various financial reports requested by the Council. A new one is “Vendor activity reported by Vendor name”. Since this is a written report; I am sure there'll be no discussion at this time. The various Council Subcommittee Reports are also listed. Customarily, only administrative and finance is in explicit detail. Economic Development also usually has a report. In the past Public Safety, as w ell as City and Neighborhood Services are usually presented verbally if there is a substantial report.

I hope you all read Councilman Storch's posting on his position on the WBLS investigation. Once again he emphasizes that this is only an investigation into the appropriateness and source of funds paid to the radio station for the August 2010 meeting. I in itself I they cannot be considered a witch hunt. However, should there be any evidence of willful circumventing establish policy or regulations I believe that it should merit an investigation in depth of over the past two years to determine whether this represented a continuous pattern of illegal handling of municipal funds. If so that could lead to criminal charges.

Counselor Storch mentions the fact that Jackie Drakeford, who was originally designated as a special investigative officer, had to resign before the process could start. I was one who originally questioned her appointment. That was not because I had any qualms about her professional integrity or ability to be impartial. However, in the light of the polluted political environment in Plainfield, the fact that she had been Corporation Counsel under the previous McWilliams’ Administration could have left her open to charges of conflict of interests which would cloud the investigation.

Occasionally reading the public legal notices reveals something of interest that is not publicized. Along those lines the other day was a notice of the DOT calling for bids to replace the Roosevelt Avenue and Leland Avenue bridges due to low clearance.

4 comments:

  1. Your blog looks like a mini-Dan Damon blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2:15 PM; I like to think that my blog reflects my individuality. But you flatter me by comparing my writings with those of a well organized blogger. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Doc, I appreciate your take on what is going on in the city. As there is only one Dan, there is only one Old Doc, and thank goodness for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I prefer your critique over your cheerleading, so I have to agree with 2:15.

    Let Dan do the Council's amplification.

    ReplyDelete