Saturday, October 8, 2011

MY TRANSGRESSION ?

“On Rosh Hashanah will be inscribed and on Yom Kippur will be sealed, how many will pass from the earth and how many will be created; who will live and who will die...who by water and who by fire...Who will rest and who will wander, who will live in harmony and who will be harried, who will enjoy tranquility and who will suffer, who will be impoverished and who will be enriched, who will be degraded and who will be exalted.
 In a sense the meaning of Yom Kippur is to ask forgiveness from G*d for the sins against him I and of equal importance to forgive those who have sinned against you. One hopes that those whom you have sinned against will find it in their heart to forgive you I If you have a clean soul you then will be inscribed in the “Book”.
 Despite my complaint Friday, the fact that Assemblyman Jerry Green in his role as Chairman of Plainfield City Democrat Committee called for a meeting of that committee on Yom Kippur eve; in the overall matrix motivating our life the matter is the no importance. Indeed, the playoffs game between the Phillies and the Cardinals impacted on more people. It too was of little importance except to observant Jews who could not participate.
 My anger was directed rather at the fact that if there were any Jewish members to the City Committee of which I am unaware, then Jerry Green's action deprived them of their civil rights.
 Plainfield before 1968 was the thriving commercial and business bastion of Central Jersey  fueled in a substantial degree  by a large  liberal thinking (and voting) Jewish population despite this area’s traditional solid Republicism until the coming of Pete Williams. That core has gradually moved away into the suburbs.   Indeed with the exception of Scotch Plains and Fanwood this ethnic group has little political impact in his district
 My transgression was against G*d from who I hope for forgiveness, to wish that Green not be inscribed in the Book of Life for 5772.  Actually I really do wish him every one a year of Peace, Prosperity, and Good Health, Happiness, and also for he and our political leaders a year Dedicated to Good Service to all constituents.
 One anonymous commentator did accuse me of being insensitive to complain about the City Committee’s meeting on the most sacred Jewish High Holy day. Since I have no desire to participate in that body’s function, I could care less about when and where it takes place. Not with standing I have always objected to any action that could discriminate against any ethnic religious or racial group. If our political leadership ignores that principle then they represent a danger to our way of life.
 My intention is to exploit that statement relating to our National politics in the very near future.

4 comments:

  1. In reality, you're the bigger person anyway...so true, it doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan did point out to me the import of your original 'Book' comment. I had missed it.

    Rob, least you think I'm a single sided critic here is a haiku about our current President from my Facebook page:

    Barack Obama,
    The world-wind now upon you
    And passed you, bye'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I can't see the logic behind going after someone's weight instead of the issues...I'll leave it as, "Thank God Jerry Green isn't fat, or that would be a reason to vote him out of office instead of the myriad of other issues."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob, lighten up. It was an attempt at humor. I would be the last to go after someone on the basis of their physical appearance. If you have read my prior blog posts you will see that I have criticized both Jerry and Christie in no uncertain terms.
    A sense of humor is one of the greatest weapons we humans have.
    Here's another Haiku, this one to TJ the dog:
    Quiet T. J. Sleeps
    Running through nocturnal haze
    Shredded Mailmen weep

    ReplyDelete