If the truth were to be told, none of the above by itself could be the source of our sad state. The real villain encompasses all of the above and more. In fact the political system which encourages patronage, nepotism, and favoritism is the real culprit, not any one of the mentioned factors.
Public apathy plus personal agendas that encourage accepting , to some. a "benevolent", party boss who for years is reappointed constitutes the core problem. This is manifested by the Council's desire to have a harmonious relationship with the executive branch. Occasionally Councilors speak out in opposition but that seems to be for popular consumption rather than a sincere desire for the Council to exert its fiduciary responsibility.
For years the Auditors have called attention to excessive amounts of transfers of funds between various accounts, as well as the existence of a great number of "inactive" bank accounts. Yet the Councilors sign off on the annual audit without insisting that these financial irregularities be corrected.
Too many contracts are awarded to "State approved vendors" by the so call "fair and open process' or through the exemption of "professional contracts" from competitive bidding. Provisions in the City's Charter or mandated by State Statues are glossed over if not completely ignored. The role of the CFO in these matters is non existent. There is no proof or record that the City is getting the best bang for its dollar.
There is no followup of actions taken and often no record of having been fulfilled. The Dudley house being an example.
When an inappropriate action may have been taken there is no evidence that an attempt to correct has occurred. The recent awarding of a large grant contract to a firm with no experience in that specific field resulted in this email to me from an anon: " Local Public Contracts Law may permit the City the leeway to engage in sham bidding, but it doesn’t allow for violating Federal and State laws pertaining to the use of funds. I think the law is pretty clear on this. I find it pretty amazing how weak this Council appears." To date neither Administration or Council has rebutted the writer's concern.
The Charter was written to provide for "checks and balances" between the Administrative and Legislative bodies. If the Council does not get the reports it desires it can not function. If Council does not mandate the receipt of those reports it ignores its responsibility to the citizens.
It should be obvious that until the City's financial controls are operative there is little accounting how our tax dollars are being used or misused.
damn...my original comment was too long..apparently God is looking to keep my wicked tongue in check today.
ReplyDeleteThank you pointing out former President Bush as Jerry's tired option.
Until Mapp, Storch and McWilliams throw decorum out the window and forget about being polite on that council, nothing is going to change until Burney is gone and Rebecca steps in. They can't beat down SRB, JG and their gang of 4 by playing polite and decent. They have to shame and berate them. The Mayor, JG and the Gang of 4 talk about something so simple as fiscal accountability as causing strife between the council and the administration...excuse me??? They want to see strife..hand it to em on a silver platter then force it down their throats.
They can take being shamed in front of the voters in Plainfield because they know they'll be elected again by the foolish party lever pulling lemurs no matter what. But bring in the outside media and you have their bit of shame start to kick in. Out all of them for what they are in the media and there's nothing like a good shout out at a city council meeting in ANY city will get the media's attention.
It's amazing when you consider that for many years the "new democrats" have had majorities on the Council, and still do. McWilliams, Mapp, Burney, Carter, Rivers, Storch--all ran and won on the "new democrats" slate. And their predecessors, too, for the most part. If you look up the records you'll find that the "new democrats" have dominated the Council for years--yet the blame game still goes on. Supposedly they are all taking orders from Jerry Green and so is Sharon. What nonsense some commenters keep spewing! Next thing you know Jerry Green will be blamed for the sinking of the Titanic.
ReplyDeleteI hpoe people will write to our City Council and ask them to get on the ball and pay attention to the games our mayor is playing with the city's money. I wrote them. I also encourage people to write the governor and ask him to look into Plainfield's shady accounting practices. As I told City Council members, "I teach accounting and if one of my students did any othe this type of counting they would fail." We need to raise our voices and not let the Jerry/Sharon gang use us for their gain.
ReplyDeleteHere's the "Rob & Bob" show again trying to change the subject. Everything in Plainfield that you don't like (or I don't like either) is not Jerry Green's doing. Get real, guys!
ReplyDeleteAnonymous 11:38 AM
ReplyDeleteNo, but Jerry did sink the HMS Pinafore or was it the 'Ship of Fools?' As to who is or who is not a New Dem, why don't you call them, ask them if they are or are not a New Dem and to put it on the record?
Once again 5:13 PM we know who are Rob and Bob. Would it not be nice if the die hard "OLD DEMOCRATS" would also have the balls to come out of the anonymous closet. However, I will still post your comments as well as R&B's.
ReplyDeleteNo you don't know who Bob and Rob are. You know what they choose to call themselves on profiles. Why don't you ask them to give their last names? Then we will all know who they are.
ReplyDeleteI am amazed at the psychic powers of Anonymous at 8:46AM. Although I haven't met you YET Doc and since I enjoy your rather home-spun straight forward logic I am sure our paths will cross. But....both Dan Damon and Cory Storch have met the "mysterious, he doesn't exist" Rob and I have spoken with Maria on the phone. My goal is too meet you, Maria, Bernice, Adrian, Annie and Rebecca as well.
ReplyDeleteMy profile has my email address and I have invited the hot-mess of a Mayor or her string puller to contact me at any given time. Their lackeys....don't waste my time please.
8:46 AM, Not completely true. I do not come up and pat them on the back and I am not sure if Rob or Bob is their real n ames. However they have ober the years left enough clues that each one can be reasonably identified.
ReplyDeleteYes it would be a public service if like the occasional soul who is proud of his comments signs his name.
But thousands of different concurring anonymous posting could be written by one persond pretending to be many. That could be stuffing the ballot box.
My advice is to take a response such as yours posted annonymously with no more than a grain of salt.
A clarification regarding council races for the "Anonymous" individual who posted at 11:38 am, and who clearly has only a desire to spread misinformation--and/or is simply willfully obtuse:
ReplyDeleteCouncilor Rivers did not, and has never, run as a New Democrat--she ran her Democratic primary independently against Jerry Green's candidate, Vera Greaves, and won by about 8 votes. It's easy for you to take a look at the ballot from 2009 to see that she ran on her own. I don't know where you would have gotten the idea that she was a New Democrat--take a look at her campaign literature--this is easy to check.
About those who ran on the New Democrats line in primaries:
Carter ran off the line on the New Democrats slate in 2003 against 2 challengers (Anderson and incumbent Hendricks), and on the line in 2007 (unopposed).
Storch ran off the line on the New Democrats slate in 2003 against Jerry Green's candidate Bob Ferraro (who switched party affiliation from Republican to Democrat at JG's request), and on the line in 2007 (against Tony Rucker).
Burney ran off the line as a New Democrat back in 2005 (against Gibson), and on the line in 2006 (unopposed) and 2010.
Mapp (against Lynch and incumbent Davis) and McWilliams (against incumbent Gibson) ran off the line on the New Dems slate in 2008.
I ran off the line (against incumbent Burney and former Councilman Davis) this Democratic primary season (2010) as a New Democrat. Since I was successful, I am now in the Democratic column (Column A) on the ballot this November.
Rebecca
I am anonymous. My comments should carry less weight than those who are not. My point is that Bob and Rob are still anonymous even with profile names. I challenge you, Bob and Rob, to give your full names. If not, your comments should be given no more weight than mine.
ReplyDeleteBob: Are you Robert H Bolmer?
ReplyDeleteuhhhhhhh....You challenge me???
ReplyDeleteIs this a double dog dare ?
Are you going to call me a big fat meanie next ??
Are you going to hold your breath until I respond ?
Since you are "anonymous" I only care what Doc thinks and only care about meeting him as it stands.
Set up the fake name that I am going to challenge you do to first ( I say fake, because we both KNOW you don't have the stones to put your real name there( Doc used BALLS but it's his blog ).
Then after you set up your FAKE, I mean "REAL" profile we will go from there...
Unnecessary, "Rob" since you proved my point. You are anonymous too. Keep posting that way if you like, and so will I.
ReplyDeleteBut, don't pretend you are any better than any other anonymous commenter or that your comments should be taken any more seriously.
Didn't Bridget Rivers run off "the line" because she would not accept the New Democrat Club's offer to run with Adrian Mapp last year?
ReplyDeleteThey supported her and her allies both financially and politically on the Plainfield School Board.
Her sister, Jo-Ann Hollis ran on the New Democrat line in 2005 and was just re-appointed to the Plainfield Housing Authority by the New Democrat led City Council.
Don Davis ran as a New Democrat in 2004, because the New Democrats controlled "the line" from June 2003 to April 2005.
So that makes the New Democrat Club responsible for Al McWilliams, Adrian Mapp, Rayland Van Blake, Linda Carter, Corey Storch, Ray Blanco, Don Davis, Rashid Burney, Annie McWilliams, and now, come November, Rebecca Williams.
Members and former members of that political club or those they supported have controlled the Plainfield City Council with a majority of AT LEAST four votes since January 2004. They controlled the Mayor's Office for 8years, and the Democratic City Committee for 2 years. They were the last two county freeholders from Plainfield and come november will be the third.
They have had control of the School Board for several years.
What does Plainfield have to show for it?
( DOC --- YOU CAN NOT POST THIS IF YOU WANT OF COURSE )
ReplyDeleteuhhhhhh... I never said " I am any better than any other anonymous commenter or that your comments should be taken any more seriously."
I have said all commentators SHOULD not use anonymous if they want anyone to consider their comments something other than being posted by Sharon Robinson Briggs, Jerry Green or one of their paid political lackeys MORE than once. Doc obviously agrees with that sentiment.
But feel free to email me at robnj67@gmail.com my full name is listed on my signature from my email account. Then you can call me a "Big fat meanie pants" right to my personal email address. And you'll have your reply with my information if your contact information is there as well. Give me your home address and I'lls top by for coffee so we can discuss things face to face. I am big enough to disagree to with someone face to face anytime WITHOUT HIDING. Muuuuuuuahhhhhh ( I like my kisses wet! )
OK Now that we are developing ' transparency" among anonymity we can be getting someplace. However enough of this tit for tat debate.
ReplyDeleteAS Rob has written, I will accept a "nom de querre" as preferable to anonymous. It gives the writer a sense of identity.
No, Bridget Rivers did not run off the line for the reason you are trying to promote. She ran off the line because Jerry Green gave the line to Vera Greaves. And she won. You would have to ask Bridget about her campaign decisions. The New Democrats did not offer her a position on our slate. Don Davis did not run as a "New Democrat" in 2004. He ran on the organizational line (RDO) when Al was the chairman in 2004. So did Ray Blanco, although Ray was a New Democrat in terms of the political philosophy we shared when I ran his campaign in 2004. Don and Ray were voted as the candidates by the city committee members. Don never viewed himself as a New Democrat, and he still would not. As far as New Democrats "controlling" the city council, individual councilors are responsible for voting their conscience in the best interest of their constituents. The New Democrats have never run a slate for school board, although as individuals, we have supported some school board candidates, as is our right as citizens. Thank you, Doc, for allowing me the opportunity to set the record straight. I will not post on this again.
ReplyDeleteAll best,
Rebecca
Ms. Williams is lying. The political finance arm of the New Democrats did in fact support school board slates. She knows that.
ReplyDeleteIf she continues to lie, I'll provide everyone with the ELEC links for the world to see.