PLAINFIELD NOSTALGIA
In the twenties Plainfield possessed three movie theaters, and one other theater that was home to a stock company. Some of its actors became prominent in Hollywood.
In the later part of the decade, the Plainfield Theater was remodeled into a baroque edifice, imitating an Egyptian temple complete with swastikas decorating pseudo columns inside the auditorium and renamed the Paramount Theater. The entrance was change from Park Ave to Second Street. Many years later, it was featured in an American Heritage article (I think Oct. 1961) as a prime example of that type architecture.
Temple Sholom in the 50s was the largest Reformed congregation in New Jersey west of Newark and north of Trenton. Because it was undergoing construction of a new large sanctuary and school, it rented this theater for the High Holy days Services. Needless to say, the swastikas and gargoyles were covered. The congregation was large enough to fill the theater.
The Strand and Oxford theaters plus the Paramount were part of the Read chain. The other independently owned movie theater, the Liberty, was the first to have “refrigeration”, an air conditioning system, and the first to show sound movies. The Jazz Singer played there. The first sound movies used a sound system called” Vita Phone”, which used records which were not always synchronized to the film.
The movies were inexpensive, 10 cents a show. Besides the feature, they always included a newsreel and a short feature, typically an Our Gang or a Laurel and Hardy comedy, or a cartoon. On the weekends the Oxford and the Liberty programs included a serial. The most popular were the Westerns with Hop A long Casidy, or Tom Mix, etc..Other popular serials included Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon or Lassie. In order to attract customers there often were double features and during the depression, these movie houses were the free source for every day china and glasses promotions. The "depression glassware" from these theater promotions have become valuable antiques.
The Oxford frequently featured vaudeville acts as part of its presentations.
COUNCIL AGENDA MEETING
Monday night's meeting was short lasting about 90 minutes. The most interesting portion was the last, the Public comments section. The final speaker was Assemblyman (not Citizen) Green who spoke for about 5 minutes regarding Muhlenberg Hospital's demise. Unfortunately I thought his presentation was rambling and I am not sure what he said. I gather that he felt that the previous administration ( Plainfield's) had a responsiblity dating back 5 years ago. He seemed to infer that he was aware of the closing a year ago and his talks with Solaris were fruitless. Plainfield must accept the fact that this action is irrevocable. If some one can clarify his remarks for me I would appreciate it.
Comment: The issuing of a Certificate of Need for closure is an administrative action not subject to legislative approval. However, I wonder why the legislative body could not pass a law with specific guidelines to be met before a SNH can be closed. Criteria that would prohibit such action should also be delineated. It seems weird that the party that expounds universal health care can not find the means to protect what is operational.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear Doctor:
ReplyDeleteI love your blog. I have heard so much about you from others than now that I am able to read you first hand I can understand the fascination on your persona.
Your voice and experience is so needed in Plainfield. We have lots of work to do around here Doc!
One thing I wanted to ask you to explain to us, your readers, was how is it that the public came object to a resolution on a council's agenda?
I really would appreciate your help on this one. I was surprised when I read about it on Bernice's blog and wanted to ask you how does one do this and when is the right time to do it.
Thanks again for taking the time to share with us your rich experience and views, and I am absolutely delighted and thrilled to hear more about Plainfield from you.
Maria Pellum
Any pictures of the "Old Days"
ReplyDeletewelcome to the world of bloggers doc.at least we get some more insight,of whats going on in this wonderfull city.
ReplyDeleteWait till you see the next agenda. $$$+ for consultant Remingten Verdon from the land of Pay & Play. Throw in the rest and you are in Professional Green Fields
ReplyDelete