I wish to thank those who sent comments on my 4/15 posting. It gratifying to know that I have at least three readers. To those who asked questions, I will try to answer as best as possible.
"Anonymous Maria" Your question addresses one of the prime reasons the public should attend Council sessions. During the Agenda Setting work meetings the public has no opportunity to comment except at the end of the meeting. However, at the public business meeting there are several opportunities provided by rules and regulations. Before the Resolutions are acted upon, any member of the public has 3 minutes to comment on any or all Resolutions up for vote, with the exception of those on the "Consent Agenda" which at the work session were placed there because of a so called "non controversial status" and are not available for discussion.
However the Council's rules permit any citizen or Council member to request the removal of any consent resolution to non consent status and thus subject to comments. In my experience these requests have never been denied by a roll call vote.
The resolution I had requested to be moved involved a contract of over $100.000. I just felt that this amount should not be considered routine. Professional contracts can be awarded without bids. Any contract so awarded should be subject to "pay to play" scrutiny.
Regarding pictures of prewar Plainfield; Out of perhaps 2000 prints and slides stashed here and there in our house the only non family pre-war (WWII, was there any other?) ones that I can remember is one of my 7-8 grade accelerated class.
Problems arise from the"Vista" operating system on my new computer. I had no choice and had to dump XP and Office 2004. Microsoft is in retrograde progress.
My first computer was a Kaypro, which I chose because it was portable, almost 30lbs. It used 5" floppy discs and had about 1 mg memory. The operating system was CPM which became extinct when IBM introduced its personal computer using Microsoft's DOS operating system. It was easy, using methods common to OS for even a novice to write or change a program, also the risk was small because the only place anything could be saved was on the floppy.
Today's Courier's Editorial.
It took legislative action to grant Plainfield the means to sack Chief Santiago. I am not sure of the constitutionality of such vindictive legislation. That is for lawyers and the courts to decide. However if it can work in this case , could not legislation be enacted to provide specific pro and con guidelines needed for granting a "Certificate of Need for Closure"?
In the future;
There will be many days when I may have no ax to grind. Therefore there will be no comments or postings. However, I would like to post a frequent perhaps regular intervals vignettes of Plainfield Nostalgia. Most will come from a monograph bio that I wrote at my children's request. It consists of 4 books,titled "The Age of Naivete" (Pre WWII), Old Doc's War'- 50 pages with some photos, "Maturity" post war personal and general subjects, and " Voyages of Discovery"- trips that my wife and I were fortunate to enjoy in our healthy years. Exotic places included Iran and Afghanistan in the early 70s. Is there interest?
Several years ago I gave a copy of "Old Doc's War" to the Plainfield Library. It may be retrievable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Some of us would be interested in anything you have to say. Especially from the historical perspective.
ReplyDeleteI think the historical perspective is the most interesting ... the more the better olddoc!
ReplyDeleteConsider having yourself another reader!
ReplyDelete