Thursday, May 7, 2015
"CITIZEN'S" BUDGET ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Yes, I may be a naive senile nonagenarian who is presently havening some balance problems who thought that the word “Citizen’s” in a title meant “of the people” not a political organization.
I could not attend the Council’s first Budget hearing meeting but reports that I am receiving suggest that this process will be devoted to embarrass Mayor Mapp’s Administration.
Consider the CBAC’s membership:
1. Ex-Mayor Sharon Robinson-Briggs whose administration was notorious for its questionable uncorrected adherence to acceptable fiscal practices. See the annual Audit Reports. She now holds a “county” related job.
2. Former Councilman Bill Reid who always complained about spending money to correct deficiencies and advocated lowering the taxes which would result in less services, while at the same time he had a history of being delinquent with his own taxes. Remarkably I have not found any evidence of his paying interest when after even 4 quarters he “cleared his account. Last quarter for the first time in 55 years as a property owner I was 3 days late and was charged interest! In 2014 then Councilor Reid insisted on hiring a Consultant because the complexities of the budget was too great for the Councilors to understand. It matters not that the “Consultant’s recommendations tore the Mayor’s budget apart. Now Reid is sitting in judgement, and the Council has retained the same Consultant.
3. Pamela Razo, Anonymous Comment in Plainfielder II “Used to work for Jerry Green (as key office personal) and now works for Union County Workforce.”
4. Delois Dameron a member of Green’s puppet Democrat Party Committee
and a public
supporter of Robinson-Briggs. Please see Ms Dameron comment.
5. Richard Stewart, who was Chairperson of last year’s CBAC and gave a scathing report criticizing the Mayor’s motives, not elucidating any positive recommendations.
6. Thomas Kaercher, who has been a critic of the PMUA and the administration’s fiscal practices over the years. Recommended by rpriseCouncilor Williams. Surprise! A CITIZEN!
7. Jan Massey, a knowledgeable veteran of many years as an independent citizen on CBAC. (Councilor Storch sponsor). YES another CITIZEN!
It has to be obvious that this so called Citizen’s Committee is loaded politically to be destructive to the Mayor’s Budget. Their interests are to serve the “machine” not the public.
In all the years there has been a CBAC when allowed to be part of the process few if any of its recommendations were ever accepted. What are the odds that this year the report from this committee will not be adopted by this Council? 1000:1? There is little doubt that this whole process of “budget hearings” and CBAC participation is a farce and only another pre-election maneuver.