The hypocrisy of it all. Monday, at the Agenda Fixing Meeting I was so disturbed by the Council's action in not placing the required resolution setting the same interest rates as in 2013 on delinquent tax payments that I verbally chided the Council members for ignoring not only the Tax Collector but also the Corporation Counsel and the Mayor.
I did not seek out any tax information which is available via OPRA. However an anonymous person sent me some astounding documentation as of Jan.2014. I did not have any conception of how scurrilous the whole discussion had been before reading those tax statements. I believe that it is a public duty to share that information.
I did not seek out any tax information which is available via OPRA. However an anonymous person sent me some astounding documentation as of Jan.2014. I did not have any conception of how scurrilous the whole discussion had been before reading those tax statements. I believe that it is a public duty to share that information.
I will not name names but out of the Council members 3 are
in arrears of a total of $62,315.24 in City taxes. That is taking into account
outstanding liens. .
The Council’s memberships' record for PMUA charges is disgraceful; $7568.02 is
owed with only Rebecca being unblemished. Five others paid no PMUA charges in
2013 and one’s record goes back as far as 2009.
How can these people propose cutting the interest rates on
delinquent taxes to a level that they would not be appealing to Lien buyers? “We
must consider the poor senior citizen”, humbug.
I would never have posted this blog if it were not for the
obvious irrational self-serving tirades at Monday’s meeting. Somewhere in the Bible is reference about
casting your bread upon the waters.
Yes, I do resent supporting holier than
thou parasites.I am sure that everyone who also struggles to support the functioning of this city also will be upset by these facts. It is our taxes that are impacted.
If I remember rightly a year or so ago the tax lists noted a member
of the PMUA who was four figure delinquent in his PMUA account. How many others
in authority in this city shirk their obligations? Perhaps the media will make that public.
As NJ's Local Government Ethics Law goes, "No local government officer or employee shall use or attempt to use his official position to secure unwarranted privileges or advantages for himself or others" (40A:9-22.4 (c))
ReplyDeleteAt the very least, those officials who are in arrears on their taxes should step aside from any debate or voting regarding sub-standard rates or penalties. Below-market rates are, as Mayor Mapp pointed out, a disincentive to investors. But because the object is to get the tax revenue, not first the interest or the public shaming, maybe the city could institute a one time tax interest holiday whereby taxpayers who are up-to-date by May 1st receive no penalty. I'm not certain what we'd be giving up in the process, but it might be a way to trim the delinquent list considerably.
hypocrisy is worn so well by many on the city council... With regards to freeloading off the citizens of the city by not paying what they owe... Not the least bit surprised..not stepping aside from voting on the issue when they have a personal conflict, even less surprised.
ReplyDeleteWhy isn't this personal conflict addressed on record? It is a real and concrete conflict of interest. If they want to play hardball it should be noted on the public record that they are tax dodgers and they are making decisions on tax collections.
Doc, Council member's in support of the tax rate decrease are looking out for all citizens of Plainfield, and maybe they don't want the citizens to get in the same boat they might be in or your Mayor to be in. As he stated at a public meeting he to was in a bind for a very long time. I just find it extremely hard to kick people when they are down. I am sure that Mr. Reid was acting on behalf of all citizens. Heck my mother is one of them senior citizens who just might be losing her home over this tax issue in Plainfield. I am speaking up for her and many other seniors and heck maybe other women in men in Plainfield that have hit hard times. I usually agree with you all the time but this time I am truly disappointed in this blog. I have not been to a council meeting this year but I do plan to start attending them. I thought this year there will be no reason to attend. I voted for Mayor Mapp because I thought he would work across the entire Plainfield but this just look like the same ole same ole
ReplyDeleteRenee
Renee
It seems that Renee doesn't realize that people like Rivers, Reid, and Greaves are out for themselves. They don't want to pay their taxes and want the rest of us to foot the bill. To ignore the city tax collector, the City's our Corporate Council, and the mayor is outrageous. I for one will be willing to give my time to get these clowns out of office. Senior citzens, bah, they are looking out for themselves, which they have done for years. Let's get real here and follow the smell to the pile in their backyard.
ReplyDeleteThanks Bob as always your right. You would never understand. As I hope you recall your Mayor saying he to fell on hard times also and no one blogged about your hero. Well I have to say he's my Mayor also I voted for him and I will continue to support him
ReplyDeleteRenee
Time to name names, Doc!
ReplyDeleteDoc --
ReplyDeleteThe underlying issue is people more and more cannot afford to live in Plainfield or in New Jersey.
More and more the government spends money, and considers its population a bottomless piggy bank.
It's unsustainable. People's incomes are not rising. Everything -- food, energy, health care, taxes are rising.
More and more people are living together just to survive.
The council and administration need to take a hard look at what they spend. The same for the school board.
Citizens need to understand there is no free ride. Everything must be paid for. Right now our Federal government is spending madly and deferring the payment to the next generation.
Meanwhile both parties enact laws that enrich the 1% by making sure the health care, education and other cartels keep getting their dollars.
You go, Doc! Way to stick up for the ten percent!
ReplyDeleteMaybe Councilor Reid should take his own advice and if taxes are too high for him, he can move!
ReplyDeleteeach of these councilors is paid $10,000 a year from the city/taxpayer, soooo why not deduct their delinquent taxes from that compensation?
ReplyDeleteRenee, The people who are on hard times are driving BMW's and Cadillac's. Does that sound like hard times to you? Sure doesn't to me.
ReplyDeleteAnd, Greaves especially, pays her taxes mid-year the following year so her name will not appear in the paper. She has done this for many, many years. So, does it make sense to you that she can come up with a couple of thousand dollars in one lump sum, but she can't come up with a portion of that during the year?
No one will argue with you that people have fallen on hard times. However, when this is done consistently, during good times, it is blatant disrespect for the rest of the citizens.
And by the way, Renee, the reason your mother is having a hard time paying taxes is that she is also paying the taxes Reid and Greaves did not pay in addition to her own.
And as far as Mapp falling on hard times - he did, as did many others. Difference is that:
1 - he paid up
2 - he did not vote on something self serving as some council members do.
To anon 12:51 yes Mapp was able to get a political job for himself and his wife to pay off some of his debt, The city is now paying for all his political pay backs by him creating all of these new positions for his political paybacks. Some people are now willing to sell their sole for politics. I commend councilmen Reid. He's a senior citizen himself and he have the right to stick up for other seniors.
ReplyDeleteCouncilwoman rivers owes over $50,000 and the others who owe are Reid and Greaves. Alan Goldstein quotes NJ's Local Government Ethics Law goes, "No local government officer or employee shall use or attempt to use his official position to secure unwarranted privileges or advantages for himself or others" (40A:9-22.4 (c) The mayor should get the Corporate Counsel to make a statement on the law because it shows that they will get an advantage by this.
ReplyDeleteReid had a tax reduction in 2013
ReplyDeleteassessed value of $103,800 was lowered to $85,800 thus lowering the yearly taxes by $1,298.52
taxes were $7,488, now $6,189
He could challenge his taxes in 2013 only if he paid 1st Qtr of 2013, which explains why he paid that Qrt of 2013.
even with the reduction he has not paid 2,3,4 Qtr 2013
the property was reduced by more than 17%, as well as the taxes
Come on to the anonymous commentator who spoke about political paybacks, all politicians in any shape of form make deals for say, even JG is constantly making deals so lets get over this. If Plainfield do not wake up and stop beating each other up we will never have any real investor's to invest in this City. Come on folks please stop. Shady S. is no longer here. I thought these days were gone in 2014. WOW
ReplyDeleteReading the comments from those defending the tax evaders is the reason Plainfield is in such bad shape. I am willing to bet many of the defenders receive some form of compensation from the slackers. Suffice it to say, whatever they are getting is far less than what these thieves are getting. Ignorance and incompetence is what runs this city...as Jerry Green so eloquently stated.
ReplyDeleteI pay my taxes and pmua bill and all of my other bills on time, so Mr. Reid does not speak for me unless he does the same because only then will we have something in common. so if I want to complain about how those who don't pay I will. nothing will change here if we continue to vote those in who are not capable of handling their own finances to be in charge of making financial decisions on behalf of the entire town. if you are having financial problems maybe you should focus on your situation and leave the decision making of the town to those who can focus on what's best for the town.
ReplyDeleteWhen the last tax lien list came out, someone wanted me to "out" the council deadbeats on my blog. I suggested that the person could do it herself at a council meeting, but that didn't happen. My feeling is that foisting this task off on a blogger is just a way for the accuser to stay in the shadows. If you want to put such things on the record, do it yourself!
ReplyDeleteBernice,let the record show that no one fostered the contents of this blog upon me. I was so disturbed by the blatant ethical disregard that some one who may have heard me express myself took the initiative to get the records and emailed copies to me. That person deserve to be anonymous.
ReplyDeleteAs a dedicated reporter you know that confidentiality of sources needs to be protected.
After the meeting I wrote' In view of published remarks in the past about names of city official’s and authority member’s names appearing on the published tax sale lists, one cannot help but question whether the objections could be self-serving rather than altruistic concerns for the elderly. If this were true there also could be some ethical problems"
It is obvious that severe ethical issues are present, and can not be tolerated on a governing body. One can question actions on any contentious issue.
Sorry, my comment was not directed at you, Dr. Yood. It was my personal reaction to being pressured last year to expose individuals on the council for tax debts. My feeling is that concerned citizens can do so themselves. I will re-examine my attitude in light of your comments.
ReplyDeleteBernice, no need for an apology. We both get comments from individuals who want us to beat the drums and take risks for them. 99% I reject, I am not going to accept someone's hearsay. If they are willing to identify themselves I will consider posting or even asking them to "write a blog" which I will post.
ReplyDeleteYes it is every citizen's duty to expose corruption and/or bigotry which if permitted to go unchallenged will result in either a terror run community or a police state.
How can we get the state attorney involve in this? It has to be investigated.
ReplyDelete3;13, Perhaps you could get a large petition, but rom past experience the State Atty.general's office is not interested in "minor local problems"..This incidentis not even a minor problem,just a local metterr of ethical ignorance. Could get the State to investigate obvious misuse of fnds.
ReplyDelete