Saturday, August 30, 2008

Better late than --

Did I miss something?

Ever since I became aware of Presidential Nominating Conventions , in the pre TV era of 1940 when I was still a year too young to vote, their first order of business was to produce a Platform.

This document, often a result of acrimonious bickering among the various party factions defined what the party and presumably the man stood for. Of course many of the planks were just verbiage for political purposes and never intended to become reality. A few would reach congress with the knowledge that they would be voted down if they got out of committee. Their intent was political fodder against the other party.

The Party therefore established a position before the election delineating what it representative. The Nominee supposedly ran on the Platform but was never bound by it if the planks were not politically correct.

The only "positions " I remember from this years Democratic Convention are promises in Obama's acceptance speech. (see below). Is this the year of personalities not parties? If so what expectations can we have for the next 4 years?

"What is that promise?

It's a promise that says each of us has the freedom to make of our own lives what we will, but that we also have the obligation to treat each other with dignity and respect.

It's a promise that says the market should reward drive and innovation and generate growth, but that businesses should live up to their responsibilities to create American jobs, look out for American workers, and play by the rules of the road.

Ours is a promise that says government cannot solve all our problems, but what it should do is that which we cannot do for ourselves - protect us from harm and provide every child a decent education; keep our water clean and our toys safe; invest in new schools and new roads and new science and technology.

Our government should work for us, not against us. It should help us, not hurt us. It should ensure opportunity not just for those with the most money and influence, but for every American who's willing to work.

That's the promise of America - the idea that we are responsible for ourselves, but that we also rise or fall as one nation; the fundamental belief that I am my brother's keeper; I am my sister's keeper.

That's the promise we need to keep. That's the change we need right now. So let me spell out exactly what that change would mean if I am President.
.
Change means a tax code that doesn't reward the lobbyists who wrote it, but the American workers and small businesses who deserve it.

Unlike John McCain, I will stop giving tax breaks to corporations that ship jobs overseas, and I will start giving them to companies that create good jobs right here in America.

I will eliminate capital gains taxes for the small businesses and the start-ups that will create the high-wage, high-tech jobs of tomorrow.

I will cut taxes - cut taxes - for 95% of all working families. Because in an economy like this, the last thing we should do is raise taxes on the middle-class.

And for the sake of our economy, our security, and the future of our planet, I will set a clear goal as President: in ten years, we will finally end our dependence on oil from the Middle East."


Over the next 8 weeks I intend to post thoughts about the election, candidates, my predjudices, and what I think will be the impact on the country. We have a long way to go so keep an open mind.

Over this holiday weekend I expect to watch college foodball (and see my alma mater get the s*** beat out of it), MLBB, work up a few posts about when conventions were conventions, and other stuff.

Relax and enjoy





Schroon Lake NY


No comments:

Post a Comment