Wednesday, February 5, 2020

18 More Days


   Eighteen days until #100.   Although I can and do still drive I accept being an annoying passenger seat driver who is very nervous when others are driving my car. 
   I am frustrated with UPS who notified me that they left a package at my house on the porch, there was no package and  when I complained they emailed a copy of the proof of delivery signed as “driver released”.  Their customer that day and again the next day their customer representative told me I was wrong because they had “proof” .
   Implying but not saying that I am a liar if I insist that there was no package
   Nor would they advise me what vendor had sent the 5lb package. Since I was not expecting anything, I can’t check with anyone where I have outstanding but delayed orders, some from overseas almost a year old. My loss could be a couple 100 dollars.
   USPS also frustrates me.  Although I live in Plainfield our delivery is by vehicle ala rural. Mail delivered packages may be crammed into my street side letter box. Or packages can be left at the side of the house by the garage door where no one goes except to go in the car or take the garbage out.           
  Occasionally they are also properly left on the front porch.
Since we are on a vehicle delivery rout the time is not consistent. WE put mail in the box and raise the flag. A good delivery person turns it down when he picks up whether he/she also leaves or not /mail. Some leave the flag up so we have no way to tell if there is a delivery.   If there is a personnel shortage at the Netherwood station we may have a substitute late delivery or like yesterday the letters we put us were still in the box at 6pm. Therefore, we had NO delivery that day- not the first time it has happened. What has happened with “through rai n snow etc. the mail must go”?
The Iowa caucuses certainly was a f***ed up mess. Pelosi and the Democrats made the house impeachment process purely political and not a constitutional thing. They ignored previous rules. did not call all possible pro/con witnesses and her delay in transferring to the Senate gave ammunition to the Republicans who made a farce of the Senate “trial”.
   The Pelosi/Trump feud Republican/Democrat political antagonism was at its peak Tuesday night at the State of the Union address Trump snubbed the Speaker of the House when in entered the dais and she visibly stood and tore up her copy as Trump concluded. And the Democrats ran out of the House before the President stepped down.
   No wonder there is no people government in DC. Our elected officials’ primary agenda is to be reelected and not to act Constitutionally and legislate.

4 comments:

  1. I once had a FedEx driver ring my bell, drop the package and head down the steps. When I opened the door and asked him: "Don't you need a signature?" he replied: "You already signed."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Pre - Birthday doc!!!! You are a Plainfield gem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doc, first let us wish you a wonderful 100. Your informative blogs continue to be of service to the community. Not quite as dramatic as landing in a glider behind enemy lines, but important nevertheless.
    Would appreciate your thoughts on the pedestrian mall proposal and the 3 !/2 % property tax increase. It seems every week we receive a notice that boasts of a new PILOT program and with it predicted enormous revenue it will provide. The pedestrian mall is purported to cost 2 1/2 million. If it, like most public construction projects, follows the customary path the final total cost could be 3 million? Increased debt is detrimental to our credit rating. The debt must be serviced with periodic interest payments. The Brokers extract sums for constructing the documents for the offering, advertising it, and making the distributions. Aside from this there is a serious question as to how beneficial the Mall will be? Here are my suggestions. The Administration should provide the Public with a summary for each PILOT project approved or being considered that shows the formula for PILOT payment amounts, the anticipated revenue stream and the actual for those under construction or completed.. The payment formulas are sometimes complex, with alternative possibilities. While modest minimum payments are usually stipulated the real bucks are derivatives of these formulas. Any incomes that are derived from these formulas are speculative. The City's payment depends on how much revenue the development produces for the Developer? If the commercial and residential spaces do not rent both Developer and City suffer. While there are periodic scalations stipulated in the MINIMUM payment schedule typically there is NO escalation in the minimum payment for many years. This is in sharp contrast to the historic annual increase in property taxes of 2 1/2 to 3 1/2%. The larger escalations in the PILOT agreements occur when most of us will be dead. It is my hope these deals are fruitful. Until we are confident of that I suggest we defer any Mall schemes until we have 3 consecutive years absent a property tax increase. That is, the PILOT revenues, and/or fiscal prudence are sufficient to maintain a constant tax rate. If you press the goose to lay golden eggs too frequently eventually the goose will expire. Bill Kruse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Doc, the Iowa caucuses were badly mishandled. But I have a particular view of it, because I am the only political figure for miles around here whose career started at an Iowa caucus. It is run as a pure citizens' meeting at the neighborhood or small-town level, breaking up into separate discussions for each party. In mine, we had it at a church, and the parties simply went to opposite ends of the building. The people attending appoint someone to the County Committee for that party, by acclimation, as well as voicing their support for (or opposition to) candidates at the upper levels.

    In 1980 I attended the Republican meeting nearest my apartment in Des Moines, and got drafted to be a Committeeman because, I assume, I came across as an articulate young man. Some weeks later, I was tapped to run for countywide office as Clerk of Court (in NJ it's County Clerk). Knowing I lived in a Democratic majority county, I didn't expect much, but I learned so much, getting my feet wet. This was later applied to several elections in New Jersey, where my chance of winning, due to party strength, was closer to zero.

    I wish everyone in America would recognize the Iowa caucuses as pure citizen democracy, without insulting the demographics there. Too bad they used some defective software this time out. My faith in this process will remain strong.

    ReplyDelete