Sunday, May 3, 2009

RANDOM THOUGHTS ADD ON

It has been most gratifying that so many have taken the time to comment on yesterday's "Random Thoughts". I probably should quit when I seem to be ahead, but the discussion on vocabulary, phraseology and delivery invariably without justification raised the stigma of bigotry.

It is unfortunate that all too often those that accuse a person of being a bigot are ingrained bigots themselves. No, I am not saying that anyone who points the finger at another individual for making racist or ethnic derogatory remarks must be bigoted, I believe that most of us have been ingrained from childhood with certain prejudices but only a few are pathological proponents. These are the ones that each of us must guard against. They can come in any color , sex, haircut, religion and age group.

The two forces outside the home that can fight bigotry are the religious institutions and the school systems. Regrettably religious leaders throughout the ages have been among the most forceful advocates of ethnic and religious hatred.

The school system must become the leader in teaching tolerance. BOEs and administrators must resist every attempt to interject religious dogma into the curriculum. Instead this is where "Tolerance" should begin. The Southern Poverty Law Center has teaching material for group education that is available for all schools. Most are available without costs. Our system should take advantage of these tools.

Thus after accomplishing a 360 degree detour I am back at square one, my contention is that we have an extremely highly educated individual as the head of our school system who has definitive plans and goals that seem to be the best course to return Plainfield's schools into an efficient education tool. He needs all the help he can get. His failing is that he seems to be talking (down) to us instead of talking with us.

I for one can live with that character flaw if the results are valid.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Doc,

    Thanks for speaking up. I saw the comment on race and wondered too about the need to make that race comment.

    As for Dr. Gallon's writing style? He now and then sends me to get hold of all my dictionaries (which range from the bilingual to the American Phrases only Americans Use) and I also wonder how many of our parents get his letters, BUT, once you meet Dr. Gallon in person he is something else. He is approachable, makes one feels that he is truly paying attention to what one is saying, and so far I haven't feel I have the need to carry my dictionaries with me when I know I might be speaking with him.

    Maybe a Q&A regarding his writing style is in order?

    Hope you have a good, although rainy, day!

    MP

    ReplyDelete
  2. olddoc, I agreed with all of your comments about Dr. Gallon's writing style, education, etc. But I share MP's view as well. Dr. Gallon is really a very down to earth guy and I don't feel through his writing that he is "talking down" to me. I think he is simply expressing himself in a clear and intelligent way. Should be "dumb down" his writing? His words are from a man speaking from the heart with deep thoughts and convictions about what he has to say. Plainfield can use more of that considering some leaders who often open up their mouths only to put a foot in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Doc -- I absolutely agree with the other two commenters on all accounts including the Dr.'s personal disposition once "off" stage and the need to kick it up a notch in terms of presenting to the public intellectual writings that YES may sometimes cause you to reach over and dust off the ole Funk & Wagnall... Remember He's an educator --first-- and so it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I repeat;I expect an "educator" to have a complete-well almost- capture of vocabulary, syntax, and composition. However to "educate" he must lower himself to a level near that of those he is attempting to reach. I myself have no qualms of using a dictionary or thesaurus to find phrases that better express my thoughts. I have also been guilty of writing convoluted sentences.

    When I was president of the Medical Staff I often had to stop and laugh at my self along with the audience for leaving syllables out of words. "Read too fast, speak too fast". At least that kept them awake waiting for Mrs Malaprop to enter the hall.

    ReplyDelete